Being prepared for a disaster, whether a severe storm, power failure in the winter, flood, large urban fire, earthquake, or large chemical spill, we have responsibility to be prepared. Emergencies can occur at any time and without warning. Living in Southern California, as we have seen recently, earthquakes unfortunately take place so take the initiative to get your home and family ready for any future earthquakes or natural disasters! First, get your home re-inspected to ensure it is up to the new earthquake safety standards! Consider installing earthquake straps or bolts to help hold shelving, wall units or water heaters to the walls in case of emergencies. Aside from home safety, your family’s and your personal safety are also important! Safety kits can be purchased in stores all over including Amazon or grab a bag and make your own kit! Here are some tips and tricks to easily and inexpensively prepare an emergency bag.
DIY earthquake kit essentials:
• Earthquake water! It stays good longer than your typical bottled water.
• First aid kit
• Non-perishable foods
• Sanitation and personal hygiene items
• Multi-purpose tool
• Copies of personal important documents
• Family and emergency contact information.
• Paper maps
• Emergency blanket
Following an Earthquake here are some things you should do:
• Stay calm and prepare for aftershocks.
• Check for injuries and administer first aid to your best ability.
• Check for obvious hazards or dangers to your home.
• Do not turn off or on any lighting or electrical device.
• Use emergency supplies only if necessary.
The better prepared, the better you can minimize upset and anxiety that often occurs during an emergency! Find more safety tips to consider before, during and after an earthquake below.